For Native American businesses, there are two primary requirements that must be met in order to participate in the IIP:
1. 51% Native American/Alaskan/Hawaiian Ownership
- Indian ownership of the subcontractor or supplier cannot constitute less than 51 percent of the enterprise.
- DFARS 252.226-7001
2. Federally Recognized Tribal Enrollment
- Native American: The subcontractor or supplier must be owned by a federally recognized tribe or a member of a federally recognized tribe.
- Native Alaskan: The subcontractor or supplier must be owned by a "native", "native village" or "native group" (including corporations organized by Kenai, Juneau, Sitka, and Kodiak) as defined by the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.
- Native Hawaiian: The owner of the Native Hawaiian-Owned subcontractor or supplier must be a recognized Native Hawaiian as defined by 25 USC 4221(9).
How to Participate
Please go to our Documents section and download all available templates in order to submit rebate requests to OSBP. In the Documents section you will also find an informational factsheet and an informational PowerPoint briefing about the program.
Native American, Native Alaskan, or Native Hawaiian Organization
Native American/Alaskan/Hawaiian submit proof of your tribal/Native Alaskan/Hawaiian affiliation to the Prime contractor:
Submit proof of tribal enrollment (BIA tribal card, Certificate Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB), Hawaiian birth records) and proof of 51% ownership. Alternatively, you may complete and sign the Native American/Alaskan/Hawaiian self-certification form. The form must be completed in its entirety.
If you are interested, but not currently participating in the Indian Incentive Program, we recommend you first:
- Familiarize yourself with procedures for doing business with the Department of Defense
- Research DoD's needs and how your firm can contribute to meeting these need
- Research DoD Prime contractors that may benefit from your firm’s products or services
- See recent Indian Incentive Program participants in the Indian Incentive Program
- Use your local Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTACs). PTACs are located in most states and are partially funded by DoD to provide small business concerns with information on how to do business with the Department of Defense
Prime Contractors submit requests for Indian Incentive Payments to DoD Contracting Officers. Requests must include the following:
- Copies of certification of 51% ownership from all eligible subcontractors and copies of certification of tribal, Native Alaskan, or Native Hawaiian enrollment from all eligible subcontractors OR completed self-certification form.
- Copies of all eligible subcontractors’ invoice receipts. The prime must supply an invoice summary sheet that lists invoices by number and explains the 5% rebate amount.Request letter that: States subcontractor’s status as an Indian, Native Alaskan, or Native Hawaiian-owned enterprise and cites DFAR Clause 252.226-7001.
DOD Contracting Officer
DoD Contracting Officers submit requests to OSD OSBP:
1. Collect, review, and verify documents received from Prime Contractor.
2. Complete funding request letter containing:
- Reference to DFAR Clause 252.226-7001,
- Period of Work (month/year–month/year) for the incentive payment,
- Contracting Officer information: email, telephone and fax numbers,
- POC to receive MIPR. State preference of MIPR: Direct Cite or Reimbursable Cite.
Funding request letter template:
Mail to OSD OSBP the request package containing:
1. Funding Request Letter
2. Invoice Summary Sheet which clearly states that the Indian-owned firm performed the work and/or manufactured in whole or in part the products invoiced
3. Proof of 51% ownership and Native American/Alaskan/Hawaiian enrollment OR completed self certification form.
DoD Office of Small Business Programs
4800 Mark Center Drive
Suite 15G13 East Tower
Alexandria, VA 22350
If you have any questions about the IIP, call us at 571-372-6191.