Mentor-Protégé Program (MPP)
DoD’s Mentor-Protégé Program is the oldest continuously operating federal mentor-protégé program in existence. Originally established in the midst of the First Gulf War, the MPP helps eligible small businesses expand their footprint in the defense industrial base.
Under the MPP, small businesses are partnered with larger companies. In the past five years, DoD’s MPP has successfully helped more than 190 small businesses fill unique niches and become part of the military’s supply chain.
Many mentors have made the MPP an integral part of their sourcing plans. Protégés have used their involvement in the MPP to develop technical capabilities. Successful mentor-protégé agreements provide a winning relationship for the protégé, the mentor and the DoD.
Participating protégés have been awarded more than $5.4 billion in contracts. For every year a protégé firm participated in the program, the average firm added 13.4 new full-time employees to its payroll and earned $7.3 million in additional revenue.
Examples of DoD projects that protégés have supported include:
- Creating interoperable systems allowing the U.S. Army and the U.S. Marine Corps to track, train, analyze and evaluate warfighters’ performance in advanced mission-based simulation training environments (2013 Nunn-Perry Award Winner: nFocus Solutions)
- Rehabilitating wounded warriors and putting them to work at DoD and major defense contractor facilities providing printing/scanning, document archiving, mailroom and custodial services (2013 Nunn-Perry Award Winner: MVLE, Inc.)
- Supporting a full spectrum of repair, overhaul, alteration, and maintenance services for almost every U.S. Army and U.S. Navy watercraft in service (2013 Nunn-Perry Award Winner: Advanced Integrated Technologies)
- Transforming an auto-collision repair business into an aerospace and defense manufacturer producing parts used on laser-guided missiles, aircraft and firearms (2014 Nunn-Perry Award Winner: Sonju Industrial)
- Helping construct a composite prototype integration facility for DoD in Charleston, South Carolina, and providing development and sustainment scheduling activities for DoD’s ground based ballistic missile defense system (2014 Nunn Perry Award Winner: Victory Solutions, Inc.)
- Providing construction services / assisting with operation and maintenance of DoD facilities, helping to reduce energy use, water consumption, and facilities footprints on DoD installations, and rebuilding the infrastructure of the Iraqi oil and gas industry (2015 Nunn-Perry Award Winner: Northwind Engineering, LLC)
- Installing, operating and maintaining information technology and communications assets used for counter-narcotic, counter-insurgency and disaster-relief operations in austere and hostile environments (2015 Nunn-Perry Award Winner: Charter Trading Company)
- Providing language training, culture immersion and regional knowledge solutions to assist DoD Combatant Commands’ intelligence and counterintelligence operations (2015 Nunn-Perry Award Winner: X Corp Solutions, Inc.)
- Designing and building a transporter, erector and launch-ground support system for DoD’s Antares space vehicle (2015 Nunn-Perry Award Winner: Martinez & Turek, Inc.)
- Developing unique composite materials and applications for missile interceptor radomes, nose cones, windows, prosthetics and lightweight-unmanned aerial vehicles to increase DoD systems’ capabilities to operate in high-stress and high-temperature environments (2015 Nunn-Perry Award Winner: Mentis Sciences)
If you have any questions about the MPP process, protocol, requirements or benefits, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 571-372-6191. Detailed MPP briefings are available by appointment.