DoD Regional Councils
The DoD Office of Small Business Programs (OSBP) sponsors seven geographically dispersed regional councils to promote federal small business programs.
The councils provide forums for government and industry Small Business Professionals to train, share experiences and disseminate best practices. As a result, council members stay abreast of statutes, policies, trends and technologies affecting federal Small Business Programs.
The DoD OSBP provides general support to the councils; however, each council functions separately, electing board members, organizing committees and conducting meetings and training sessions.
The Council serves its member by offering a forum to learn about successful small business utilization techniques, quick dissemination of legal and regulatory changes and other information, and an opportunity for collective action to affect small business issues. No other training forum or organization offers this type of small business support and most Office of Small Business Programs (OSBP) Directors and Small Business Professionals consider the council a vital component of their overall mission-related efforts.
The Regional Councils provide the following principle benefits for its members:
- Easy access to information concerning Federal acquisition and small business programs.
- Opportunities to network with other professionals sharing common goals.
- Opportunities to provide input on proposed public and private policy and small business-related initiatives.
- Opportunities to support small business outreach efforts.
- Membership in a group that serves as a strong advocate for small business.
Council members come from three communities of Small Business Professionals:
- Government: DoD and other federal agencies
- Industry: Small Business Liaison Officers
- Resource Partners: Procurement Technical Assistance Centers, Minority and Business Development Centers, etc.
Small businesses are not council members.
Become a council member or attend council meetings to promote and strengthen federal small business programs.