Rapid Innovation Fund (RIF)
The Rapid Innovation Fund is designed to transition small business technologies into defense acquisition programs. The program is designed to fund mature technology ideas. About 90 percent of RIF awards go to small businesses. The average award is $2.1 million.
- Over 90 percent of RIF awardees said that RIF helped their business base.
- 62 percent had new employee hires.
- 57 percent said RIF helped transition their technology.
- 52 percent benefited from RIF teaming opportunities.
- 38 percent experienced an increase in market sales.
The goals of the RIF reflect DoD’s emphasis on rapid, responsive acquisition and the engagement of small business innovative technologies that resolve operational challenges or address critical national security needs, and have a demonstration path into a defense acquisition program including, but not limited to capabilities that:
- Accelerate or enhance a military capability
- Reduce the development, acquisition, sustainment or lifecycle costs of defense acquisition programs or fielded systems
- Reduce technical risk
- Improve the timeliness and thoroughness of test and evaluation outcomes
How do I participate?
The DoD releases a Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) as contemplated in FAR Parts 35.016 and 6.102(d)(2) on FedBizOpps.gov. The BAA requests White Papers in response to DoD's RIF requirements. White Papers are used as the initial basis for project selection. Firms whose White Papers are selected are invited to submit a full proposal. RIF awards may not exceed $3 million. The period of performance for RIF awards may not exceed 24 months.
Who is eligible to participate?
All responsible firms and academic institutions capable of satisfying the Government's needs may participate.